Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What I'm Reading - The Last Colony by John Scalzi

In an effort to get more regular with my posts, I'm going to start consuming large amounts of e-bran. Ha-cha! Hello? Is this thing on? Ahem. As I was saying, in the hopes of posting more often I'm going to try instituting a couple of weekly features. They may come and go as I find the ones I like, but if there's anyone else out there, please try to stick with me. I am, at heart, a creature of habit, so this sort of thing really appeals to me. Let's see how it goes, shall we?

Today's feature is What I'm Reading, wherein I shall tell you what I'm reading. Complicated, I know, but I'm confident you crazy kids can keep up with my doublespeak. In the future I think I'm going to make this a Tuesday item. Not sure why -- I guess it just feels like a Tuesday sort of thing.

I realized I was being unintentionally cagey about my new obsession last week, so I'm here to clear up the mystery. My new literary love is John Scalzi, and, more specifically, I've fallen head over heels for his Old Man's War series. This week I'm already on book three, The Last Colony.


Since this is the third book (the first two being Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades) I don't want to reveal too much. Suffice it to say, Scalzi blows my skirt up something fierce. The Old Man's War series -- a wonderful series deserving of a much snappier title -- is military sf with both charm and a heart. And there is also a plethora of strong female characters, something careful readers (or anyone who has read my bio or any of the other posts on here) will know that I love. These books are funny and entertaining, and I really can't recommend them highly enough.

Also work reading is Mr. Scalzi's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment