Thursday, October 10, 2013

What I'm Watching - Sleepy Hollow

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack! Back and trying out a new format for my posts.

What it is: Sleepy Hollow is a new, hour-long TV show on Fox. (Yes, I’m getting invested in a Fox show. What can I say? I’m clearly a masochist. In all fairness, the show was just renewed for a second season.)

Why I’m excited: This show is bananas in the best possible way. The premise itself – that Ichabod Crane dies while fighting in the American Revolution, and, through witchcraft, is preserved for 250 years so that he can join up with a modern-day cop to save the world from an impending apocalypse – is absurd. And yet, somehow, it works. There are the obligatory fish-out-of-water shenanigans, which I happen to think Tom Mison (Ichabod) carries off with aplomb, but they’re tempered by moments of real connection between the characters and some genuinely creepy monsters.

Of course, with a show like this, the rubber will really meet the road when/if/how the showrunners decide to move beyond the Monster of the Week format. A lot of shows bumble that transition and lose me. Sometimes that's because they never make it. Or the show gets mired down in overcomplicating its mythos. Or the plot starts to revolve around creating progressively more absurd ways to keep the leads apart or to break them up.

I guess what I’m saying is the wheels could come off this thing at any moment, but until that happens, I’m along for the ride.

Favorite (spoiler-free) thing: Lieutenant Abbie Mills, the modern-day cop played by Nicole Beharie. Beharie brings a lot of depth to the role and she totally holds her own in the face of Mison’s dreamy and unrelenting British charm.

What say you, people? Are you digging SH or did it fail to grab you? What are you watching and loving? Please keep things civil and spoiler free.

No comments:

Post a Comment